Sunday, November 29, 2009

TTC Subway Suicides

Ok, I don't want to be a downer but I think this is important.

I remember reading about subway suicides in Fortean Times back in the 90's. The article stated that they were surprisingly rare in most major cities around the world, except Toronto.

It happens all the time.

The Toronto Transit Commission doesn't report suicide statistics. The TTC was required to release this information in compliance with a Toronto Sun freedom of information act request.

I'm putting it here because I think people should know that that this is going on. People kill themselves by jumping in front of our subway trains. People should talk about suicide. It should not be kept secret, I think the TTC is wrong in this regard. The numbers on this chart were all people who needed help. Also, people love to bitch about TTC, but can you imagine being a subway conductor? It would just be a question of "when?". I mean how many times a year to people try to kill themselves on your shift where you work?

I'm putting this link if you want any information about suicide:

Centre For Suicide Prevention

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/30/2009

    Good call. people should be aware of this and address it. I read that they were looking at the possibility of putting up barriers in the future. I think its a good idea, put it wont stop the root problem, people have to talk about it.
    mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about this recently as well. At least once every couple of weeks on the London Underground I'll be told by a voice on the intercom that there is a delay because of someone "stuck under a train" somewhere. It sounds so jaunty when it is worded that way, as if someone climbed under a tube train during a game of hide and seek. It kinda prevents you from realising that someone had just decided their life was so bad they had to end it.

    ReplyDelete