Thursday, January 19, 2012

I'm Older

So this is me at 30.

The live taping of the Colbert Report was even more funny than when I saw it back in May. Most of the funny came from Stephen's Super Pac, or rather, The Definitely Not Coordinating With Stephen Colbert Super PAC. Before the show begins Stephen comes out as himself (you do know its a character, right?) and answers a few questions. He said that the SuperPac only started because he registered a domain he thought was funny and Comedy Central lawyers became concerned he was starting a PAC, so he decided to start a PAC. He said nothing has been planned in regards to the PAC and that every new move is in response to what the actual candidates are doing with their PACs.

It's brilliant political satire, at the same time it shines light on the ridiculousness of Political Action Committees and the stupidity that has arisen from the Citizens United ruling.

A woman in the audience was a week overdue and said her water had broken the day before. Off the top of the show Stephen thanked "those joining us in studio and in utero" which got a good laugh.

After the show I got a message from a friend who lives in New York, but not close enough to get a beer with. So I picked up a medium pie at Abitino's (In New York, you can say "Pie" instead of Pizza). The pizzeria is just around the block from the Pod Hotel, and they really classed it up from the last time I was here. They changed the lighting and took the clutter out of the decor, looks like somebody had a restaurant makeover. I picked up a 6 pack of Brooklyn Pilsner to wash down my pizza. My room has a TV, I watched some South Park and then Daily Show and the Colbert Report that I just saw taped. It was interesting to see how it's cut together. Sometimes Steven flubs a line and they take the bit back a little. When you watch the show it's seamless. Not a bad way to spend my 30th birthday, better to be alone in New York than alone in Toronto. I got a lot of well-wishers on Facebook(I use the birthday barometer, if somone writes a personal message then they care, if they write "Happy Birthday" then they are doing it cause they think they have to, or are uncreative).

Checkout time is noon so I'm just chilling, eating a bagel from the fantastic Ess-a-Bagel. I'm not 100% sure what to do with my day (my bus leaves in 12 hours). I haven't been feeling well so I won't be making any long treks. Seriously, I need some Pepto-bismol. Maybe that greasy pizza wasn't the best idea but what else are you going to eat in New York City?

No comments:

Post a Comment