Saturday, July 12, 2008

Double Feature Styles

There are so many comic book movies out this summer its impossible to spend any time away from the cinema. I went to see Helboy 2:The Golden Army today, and since I hadn't seen Wall-E and it was starting right after, I snuck in to that. I only use the word snuck so that it is clear that I didn't pay to see the second movie, no actual sneaking took place. I simply walked out after the movie, went up the escalator, walked in and took a seat. I just can't afford to pay for all the movies I want to see this summer.

Guillermo Del Toro is a an epic visionary. He sees a picture in his head and puts it on film so a whole theatre of people can watch his vision on a giant screen. I met Guillermo at Tiff06, where he was premiering Pan's Labyrinth. He gave a Q&A after the film and I was lucky enough to be in the isle as he left, I shook his hand and thanked him for his awesome movie, he thanked me for watching it. So I'm a huge fan of his work. He writes, he directs, he even designs the creatures in his films. Hellboy 2 was great, the action was as solid as the effects, and the creatures were wicked-cool and creepy.

Wall-E was tons of fun. Pixar is the best, hands down.



No comments:

Post a Comment